Sunday, October 08, 2006

How do you argue?

"Should a wise man answer with windy knowledge, and fill his belly with the east wind? Should he argue in unprofitable talk, or in words with which he can do no good?
(Job 15:2-3)

Let us be honest: to argue is not a given talent. And to agree is often impossible.

So how do you argue?

A sound argument should end in some kind of resolving and mutual agreement.
But a sound argument is so hard to carry through, when bitterness poisons your mind and all the boundaries of decency brake at the very thought of being hurt...
Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil.
(Eph 4:25-27)

God's word is very clear here. As always.
Even in anger we are to love one another and resolve our differences as soon as possible. This applies to everybody. It is very easy to hurt those we love most, because they are most vulnerable.
I really am not good at expressing this, especially after hearing a very special song on the subject. This is "Forgive Me, Forgive You" from "Doing My Best", by Steve Camp, a CD from 1990, and still very true.

I don't know if I can forget
All the pain that you caused me
How do I deal with this bitterness
That lies deep inside of me

To turn the other cheek is so hard
When the other cheek is already bruised
I want to be whole again
I'm tired of feeling used

Chorus:

Forgive me, forgive you
Forgive the hurt that we put each other through
I know the Lord will heal the deepest wound
But He begins with forgive me, forgive you

Love must be tender, love must be strong
Just to make it through the storm
We can't trust in our feelings
We must stand in the Lord

For love is a choice that we make
A vow of our will forever to stay
I'm tired of hurting you
So I humbly come to you

CHORUS

When I want to run away
And find someone else just to ease the pain
Then I realize what we could have
And what we could lose
I come running back to you

CHORUS

...forgive me, forgive you
He begins with
Forgive me, forgive you

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna, I've never heard that song before! It's wonderful, as was your post. Thanks for giving me the head's up. :O)
Especially as that song would be a perfect "fit" for my second novel! I'm gonna go make myself a file "note"!
Have a lovely weekend~!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm a newly wed, and my wife and I have realized the importance of conflict resolution. Fighting nice is important. Thanks for the insights!

-s

A Look Into A Christian Marriage
http://www.myloveforher.com