Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Just what are Oprah Winfrey’s core beliefs?


I have found an interesting article about a person who used to be my inspiration. In the wake of my own relationship with God, however, I had to reevaluate many trends and idols, and all of them fell to the ground. I feel so blessed by this process, and when I read such articles now, I thank God for opening my eyes.

"Faithful members of Oprah Winfrey’s TV flock know what’s happening when guests start talking and their leader keeps interjecting the occasional “Amen,” “Preach it” or even, “Sister, I understand the whole God connection!”

The host wants the guest to start “testifying,” a confessional process in which believers look for God’s healing hand in life’s hard lessons. Winfrey learned all about this process as a girl back in the Faith United Mississippi Baptist Church, where jealous peers often called her “Miss Jesus.”

But here’s the irony, noted journalist Marcia Nelson, author of “The Gospel According to Oprah:”

Winfrey has become a billionaire and one of world’s most powerful women by baring her soul and urging millions of others to follow her example, resulting in what some critics call the “Oprahfication” of America. However, it’s almost impossible to answer this simple question: What does Oprah believe?"

Continue reading...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann. I followed your link here from a comment on Steve Camp's blog.

I've never been a big O.W. fan, but I remember watching her show one day years ago and she just came right out and said "I believe there is more than one way to God." Like the article said, she belives a little bit of everything.

I'm intrigued by your blog and look forward to exploring it further.

Blessings.

Rand said...

Oh sister... Oprah gets on my nerves!

Oprah's religion: VANITY.

That's what her show is all about. How to lose weight, what underwear to use to accentuate "curves", what clothes to wear, what clothes not to wear...

IT'S ALL FOOLISH VANITY!!!

And when it isn't vanity, it's down right left wing, ungodly garbage. From Hollywood stars and their wicked philosophies and ways of life, to Oprah's own New Age style, it's all pretty wicked.

Christians should avoid Oprah like the plague.

My fundamental 0.02$,

Rand

ann said...

Welcome, Donna, nice to see You :)
I peeked at Your blog and have seen that CAMPONTHIS is also on one of the first places there.
Thank you for Your kind words. Come by whenever You please :)

Thank You for confirming my opinion, Rand.

Anonymous said...

Oprah...

http://tinyurl.com/23bvv2
http://tinyurl.com/ywfd8b
http://tinyurl.com/2hjz9f

She is a new ager masquerading as a Christian… My wife had a chance to confront a wife of somebody from Oprah’s production team regarding this very issue…
It is amazing how skewed optics those people have. And it is because Oprah’s money pays their mortgage and sends them on the nice vacation twice a year…

MilHamaH

Anonymous said...

Ann,

I saw your post at the Gadfly, and stopped by to visit your website. Very nice, and I bookmarked you in my blog section. Be back again,

David
TheNewsBeats.com

ann said...

Thank You, David. It is so encouraging when it happens :)
I will go and look around over at Your place, too.