Sunday, June 10, 2007

Observations from a traveler's perspective 1

Hello friends. I decided to blog off-line and publish this post after coming home. Being away from Internet has its advantages, although some withdrawal symptoms are already quite apparent. Well, nothing to do about it, unless I find some Internet cafe to check my mail and let #pros know I am alive... Otherwise, patience and waiting.
My journey last Friday, June the 1st, was one I will never forget. Some word of advice: if you can afford regular airlines - go for it. Cheap airlines are... cheap. And unreliable, and make one tired. Suffice to say, that the flight that was suppose to leave Stockholm at 19.05, left Stockholm at 03.00 a.m. The delay was due to some technical problem with the machine that was supposed to fly us, and resulted in rearrangement of many flights around Europe in order to make all of them possible. We were compensated with a free dinner, but otherwise it proved to be quite an ordeal for all of us. I must commence my students - they were all extremely mature and accepting of the situation, and I love them for it.
What was I doing? Well, that is the good part in all this. I actually spent 9 lovely hours on-line, thanks to WiFi at the airport and my iBook. And most of this was together with #pros. If any #pro is reading this right now - I am blessed by knowing you and being able to spend my time with you. We used to have some usual and casual conversations before, and this special night was even better - when you were my life line and support. And Doc - thank you for all the laughs and goofiness, as well as for adopting me to MyFamily. I intend to be an active user and contributor, as soon as I come back home.
I discovered that the term jet-lag can be quite real even without the time zone change, 'cause loosing of one whole night sleep still haunts me, two days later. Humorously speaking - now Doc is not the only one who may brag about troubles in travels, not to mention legendary horror stories from Phil Johnson's escapades.
Home - is fine. Seeing my parents after 10 months brings some sobering thoughts and wakes memories of the better times. Pa is very ill. He does not recognize me at all, and his existence is narrowly limited to basic physiology. It is painful to see a man whose main organ was brains reduced to this vegetative condition. It is humbling to see Ma fighting for his well-being and sacrificing her life for him. They have been married for 49 years now. It has basically been a good marriage, loving and faithful, struggling with the usual problems of life. I am sad that it looks like this today. But what an excellent example of steadfastness and marital love my mother leaves in my memories...
You know, she has been a fighter all her life. Fighting against her first marriage (the horrors of which are almost impossible to fathom, and the repercussions of which has been influencing her whole life), and running a good race in this present one.
Some religious reflection on the subject: although the first marriage ended in a divorce, Rome never granted her the right to divorce the man according to Rome's rules (though the circumstances were more than sufficient biblically). So she accepted that, and married my dad anyway, never being able to participate fully in Rome's sacraments (lots of pain because of that, but never any bitterness). When I look at this today, as a new-born believer,, I want to scream with anger at the injustice done to my parents by the dogmatic and erroneous teachings of Rome. My parents are THE perfect example of faithful catholics who never question what the Mother Church teaches. They never take the Bible and read it... I really disintegrate in face of this realization. The stronghold Rome has on her followers is immense.
My parents' apartment is over-decorated with images of Mary, late pope and saints. Wherever I look, I see idols. At the same time, I feel the sincerity in mom's heart for God, and her fear of abandoning her faith for an unknown protestant idea. She feels safe where she is. All the apologetics studied by me makes very little use here, apart from the Grace of God and prayer... But I will try to look for a window of opportunity, to make her listen to Gospel like she had never heard it before. I will always be trying.
Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.

No comments: