Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cults

These days it seems like everybody is talking about Mormons. Well, I thought this was not my problem, until... my husband met two of them in his work and invited them to our home. There is a straightforward reason why he would do such a thing, and we are not going to get into it for some personal motives. Suffice to say, they showed up at our doorstep, and not only once, but twice, fortunately, the first time was while I was absent.
I must say that the training they have obtained at the Temple Missionary School (or whatever they call it) made them very kind and considerate people. Or maybe it was the fact of them being women? Who knows... Young and nice girls, anyway. They had their rucksacks full with various "holy scriptures", and were very apprehensive and eager. My husband introduced himself and during this hour (yes, he can talk, that man is a speaker seldom met) he presented his postmodern philosophy of religion. This was a good move on his side (or so he thought), because the Mormon guests became a bit weary and less eager. He also informed them of the common state of Polish religious affirmation, that being Roman Catholicism, thus putting their hopes higher again. Obviously after his po-mo speech they jumped at the opportunity of converting his Catholic wife. I saw that sparkle in their eyes...
When they asked me what I thought, I produced my KJV Bible and said that as a Reformed Baptist my ideas of God are very Bible oriented. I could hear their jaws drop on the floor.
After they had picked them up, we actually had a nice talk, thanks to Dr. James White and his providing me with materials to study the Mormon doctrine of faith. We did not convince each other, but we were able to listen and part in peace.
These are very deceived people, not even knowing the entirety of their church's doctrine. they are like sheep led to a slaughter, repeating anything the elders tell them to memorize, twisting the truth, questioning the veracity of Scriptures, believing in necessity of new revelation, following false prophets.
To think how much joy it would be in Heaven if those zealots surrendered to true Christ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just see their faces when you pulled your Bible out. Good for you. I enjoyed this interesting snippet/peek at your married home life.

Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses really get out there and share their version well, don't they?

ann said...

While JWs are straightforward and predictable, Mormons are slimy fish in their presentation, and unless you know their doctrine, you fall for the sweet words.
the key is to define the terms from the very start: what do you mean by God, who is Jesus, etc.

Brian said...

I hope that the Lord will use this little meeting to influence your DH. It is amazing how much we (DH's that is) can hear when we are not the ones being spoken to.

Sista Cala said...

Way to go! I too have learned that you must be versed on your opponents tactics if you expect to gain the victory.

In this case, it was probably a draw but you did plant the Seed.

Even So... said...

Keep the faith, keep proclaiming the Good News, atta girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mary-- sometimes I think that those religions that put so much weight on works actually seem to be more motivated to get their "truth" out than those that are supposed to be in love with the Truth.

May it be a sobering reminder to us that there are some that are entirely devoted and looking to share-- and that's what we should be if not more!

Anonymous said...

Ann,

Good insights. I have found in talking to Mormons or JW's how little they know about what their own church believes. They also don't seem to have the ability to reason or question. So when you throw a verse or two in that disproves their teaching they are at a loss for words.