Monday, January 21, 2008

Water, Spirit and John MacArthur

ESV John 3:3 Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
ESV John 3:4 Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?"
ESV John 3:5 Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.


ESV Ezekiel 36:24 I will take you from the nations and gather you from all the countries and bring you into your own land.
ESV Ezekiel 36:25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
ESV Ezekiel 36:26 And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
ESV Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.
ESV Ezekiel 36:28 You shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers, and you shall be my people, and I will be your God.



I love this. Simple "Scripture interprets Scripture"-rule, applicable even here. While listening to John MacArthur's podcast I heard this, and had to put it in writing. The argument used by Catholics as well as by certain baptism cultists, that is so beautifully refuted by OT. The Christian institution of Baptism was not yet there when Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus. The Jews of that time did not speak about birth waters, either. But Ezekiel provides us with a clear explanation.

No comments: