Thursday, September 21, 2006

Balancing on the Edge



Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity.
(Job 31:6)


How radical can your views and beliefs be? The limits are given by God. What is pleasing to Him, is good for us. At the same time we have to remember that our faith is of Grace, our salvation is of Grace, and that our works can not earn us anything. But, on the other hand (I am starting to sound like Tevje the milkman in "Fiddler on the Roof"), if we have not works, our faith is dead.

Why am I writing all this? Because a visit to one site made me very uneasy. Bethel Ministries presents a lot of interesting material for Christians. Yet the message is not what I may call loving and true, though it presents itself as such. I thought that my views were radical, after I had accepted Christ as my Savior and my Lord. But it is nothing compared to the views presented there.

I cannot put my finger on it. Maybe it is the looks - black background is not exactly the color one can expect on a Christian site; or maybe it is the overall style - "I know best"-type of thing.
This is the place where you as Christian will find out that whatever you believe and do - it is wrong. It is not biblical, it is not radical enough, not good enough. There are no pastors of God, there are no churches of God, there is nothing good enough except the views of the author of this site. For me it sounds like an invitation to some cult - a different one, not making you to join, but to come out of whatever congregation you are in.
I even mailed the author some questions on certain issues I felt uneasy about, but the answer was that I was
very much lacking in discernment and that answering my questions would be an utter waste of time to try to convince me of the truths presented on his web site.
Well, what do you say to that...
I would like to know what some other people think about that site. I shall stand corrected if I am wrong. Right now my overwhelming feeling is that of unease and sadness.
A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight. When pride cometh, then cometh shame: but with the lowly is wisdom.
(Pro 11:1-2)

1 comment:

ann said...

I decided to delete the discussion on this post. My motives are:
1. the anonymity of the commentator (I will take it up if I know who is talking)
2. not answering my sincere questions
3. His imputing that I am not born again (on the grounds that I like certain movies).

And yes, I do celebrate Christmas, too. That makes me and millions of others not really born again, I guess.

Well, finally only this:
Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshiping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, (Touch not; taste not; handle not; Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men? Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honor to the satisfying of the flesh.
(Col 2:16-23)