Friday, August 10, 2007

2 ASSURANCE: 2Ti 4:6-8

By JOHN CHARLES RYLE, D.D.



I. FIRST THEN, I WILL TRY TO SHOW THAT ASSURED HOPE IS A TRUE AND SCRIPTURAL THING.
Assurance, such as Paul expresses in the verses which head this book, is not a mere fancy or feeling. It is not the result of high animal spirits, or a sanguine temperament of body. It is a positive gift of the Holy Ghost, bestowed without reference to men's bodily frames or constitutions, and a gift which every believer in Christ ought to aim at and seek after.
In matters like these, the first question is this,--What saith the Scripture? I answer that question without the least hesitation. The Word of God appears to me to teach distinctly that a believer may arrive at an assured confidence with regard to his own salvation.
I lay it down fully and broadly as God's truth, that a true Christian, a converted man, may reach such a comfortable degree of faith in Christ, that in general he shall feel entirely confident as to the pardon and safety of his soul,--shall seldom be troubled with doubts, --seldom be distracted with fears, -- seldom be digressed by anxious questionings,--and, in short, though vexed by many an inward conflict with sin, shall look forward to death without trembling, and to judgment without dismay. (‹1.1›) This, I say, is the doctrine of the Bible.
Such is my account of assurance. I will ask my readers to mark it well. I say neither less nor more than I have here laid down.
Now such a statement as this is often disputed and denied. Many cannot see the truth of it at all.
The Church of Rome denounces assurance in the most unmeasured terms. The Council of Trent declares roundly, that a "believer's assurance of the pardon of his sins is a vain and ungodly confidence;" and Cardinal Bellarmine, the well-known champion of Romanism, calls it "a prime error of heretics."
The vast majority of the worldly and thoughtless Christians among ourselves oppose the doctrine of assurance. It offends and annoys them to hear of it. They do not like others to feel comfortable and sure, because they never feel so themselves. Ask them whether their sins are forgiven, and they will probably tell you they do not know! That they cannot receive the doctrine of assurance is certainly no marvel.
But there are also some true believers who reject assurance, or shrink from it as a doctrine fraught with danger. They consider it-borders on presumption. They seem to think it a proper humility never to feel sure, never to be confident, and to live in a certain degree of doubt and suspense about their souls. This is to be regretted, and does much harm.
I frankly allow there are some presumptuous persons, who profess to feel a confidence for which they hays- no Scriptural warrant. There are always some people who think well of themselves when God thinks ill, just as there are some who think ill of themselves when God thinks well. There always will be such. There never yet was a Scriptural truth without abuses and counterfeits. God's election,--man's impotence, salvation by grace,--all are alike abused. There will be fanatics and enthusiasts as long as the world stands. But, for all this, assurance is a reality and a true thing l and God's children must not let themselves be driven from the use of a truth, merely because it is abused. (‹1.2›)
My answer to all who deny the existence of real, well-grounded assurance, is simply this,--What saith the Scripture? If assurance be not there, I have not another word to say.
But does not Job say, "I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that He shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: and though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.:' (Job_19:25-26.)
Does not David say, "Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me." (Psa_23:4.)
Does not Isaiah say, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on. Thee, because he trusteth in Thee." (Isa_26:3.)
And again, "The work of righteousness shall be peace, and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever." (Isa_32:17.)
Does not Paul say to the Romans, "I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Rom_8:38-39.)
Does he not say to the Corinthians, "We know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." (2Co_5:1.)
And again, "We are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord." (2Co_5:6.)
Does he not say to Timothy, "I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him." (2Ti_1:12.)
And does he not speak to the Colossians of "the full assurance of understanding" (Col_2:2), and to the Hebrews of the "full assurance of faith," and the "full assurance of hope." (Heb_6:11, and Heb_10:22.)
Does not Peter say expressly, "Give diligence to make your calling and election sure." (2Pe_1:10.)
Does not John say, "We know that we have passed from death unto life." (1Jo_3:14.)
And again, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that ye may know that ye have eternal life." (1Jo_5:13.)
And again, "We know that we are of God." (1Jo_5:19.)
What shall we say to these things?. I desire to speak with all humility on any controverted point. I feel that I am only a poor fallible child of Adam myself. But I must say that in the passages I have just quoted I see something far higher than the mere "hopes" and "trusts," with which so many believers appear content in this day. I see the language of persuasion, confidence, knowledge,--nay, I may almost say, of certainty. And I feel, for my own part, if 1 may take these Scriptures in their plain obvious meaning, the doctrine of assurance is true.
But my answer furthermore to all who dislike the doctrine of assurance, as bordering on presumption, is this:--It can hardly be presumption to tread in the steps of Peter, and Paul, of Job, and of John. They were all eminently humble and lowly-minded men, if ever any were; and yet they all speak of their own state with an assured hope. Surely this should teach us that deep humility and strong assurance arc perfectly compatible, and that there is not any necessary connection between spiritual confidence and pride. (‹1.3›)
My answer furthermore is, that many have attained to such an assured hope as our text expresses, even in modern times. I will not concede for a moment that it was a peculiar privilege confined to the Apostolic day. There have been in our own land many believers, who have appeared to walk in almost uninterrupted fellowship with the Father and the Son,--who have seemed to enjoy an almost unceasing sense of the light of God's reconciled countenance shining down upon them, and have left their experience on record. I could mention well-known names, if space permitted. The thing has been, and is,--and that is enough.
My answer, lastly, is, It cannot be wrong to feel confidently in a matter where God speaks unconditionally,--to believe decidedly when God promises decidedly,--to have a sure persuasion of pardon and peace when we rest on the word and oath of Him that never changes. It is an utter mistake to suppose that the believer who feels assurance is resting on anything he sees in himself. He simply leans on the Mediator of the New Covenant, and the Scripture of truth. He believes the Lord Jesus means what He says, and takes Him at His word. Assurance after all is no more than a full-grown faith; a masculine faith that grasps Christ's promise with both hands,--a faith that argues like the good centurion, If the Lord "speak the word only," I am healed. Wherefore then should I doubt?" (Mat_8:8.) (‹1.4›)
We may be sure that Paul was the last man in the world to build his assurance on anything of His own. He who could write himself down "chief of sinners" (1Ti_1:15), had a deep sense of his own guilt and corruption. But then he had a still deeper sense of the length and breadth of Christ's righteousness imputed to him.--He, who could cry, "0 wretched man that I am" (Rom_7:24), had a clear view of the fountain of evil within his heart. But then he had a still clearer view of that other Fountain which can remove "all sin and uncleanness."--He, who thought himself "less than the least of all saints" (Eph_3:8), had a lively and abiding feeling of his own weakness. But he had a still livelier feeling that Christ's promise, "My sheep shall never perish" (Joh_10:28), could not be broken.--Paul knew, if ever man did, that he was a poor, frail bark, floating on a stormy ocean. He saw, if any did, the rolling waves and roaring tempest by which he was surrounded. But then he looked away from self to Jesus, and was not afraid. He remembered that anchor within the veil, which is both "sure and steadfast." (Heb_6:19.) He remembered the word, and work, and constant intercession of Him that loved him and gave Himself for him. And this it was, and nothing else, that enabled him to say so boldly, "A crown is laid up for me, and the Lord shall give it to me;" and to conclude so surely, "The Lord will preserve me; I shall never be confounded." (‹1.5›)
I may not dwell longer on this part of the subject. I think it will be allowed I have shown some good ground for the assertion I made, that assurance is a true thing.

No comments: