Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Accelerating


Accelerating world.

Just some random thoughts...

My grandparents, when they were buying something new, believed that this thing would serve for many years ahead. And it did. Be it shoes, clothes, some hardware.
I am lucky if what I buy stays with me for one season... We are tricked into consumerism. Think about the photo cameras, the old type, before the whole digital hip. You could own one for generations! Now? Two years at most, and it gets outdated, useless, the battery dies. The same about computers. I was pretty happy with my IBM until I visited the computer store the other day. I really had to brace myself in order not to take my credit card and buy a new shiny machine.

Biblically, it is explainable, signum tempori (I hope I got it right). We work all the time and get nothing for it, because the things we buy get worthless so soon that we are still paying for them while they are long gone.
Unbelievable, and it is only getting worse...
I am worried for my children's sake.

2 comments:

Even So... said...

Hey, Anne, I just tagged you with a meme, "7 things about me" or something like that...blessings...

Anonymous said...

There is a lot to think about here. I wonder how such consumerisum effects the way we view chruch and our brothers and sisters.

Has church become just another product that we use, and throw away when a newer ministry comes along.

How about those around us do we love them or use them?

I think I will blog on this subject at a later date.