Friday, October 19, 2007

Spiritual stability...

Psa 1:1-6
(1) Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
(2) but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
(3) He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.
(4) The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
(5) Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
(6) for the LORD knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.


Spiritual stability...

Or Love, Joy, Humility.

And resting on a confident faith in the LORD.

Php 4:5-8
(5) Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;
(6) do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
(7) And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
(8) Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.



Your view of God is what stabilizes you.

The LORD is near in the terms of space, immediate presence, personal presence. He is living in you - In your soul. John MacArthur says that we are dependent on that. We have to also understand who He is. Why? Because your view of God will control your conduct.


Applications and Theology

In trying times, in times of persecution, loss, confusion, illness - what does it take to remain strong?


1. Peace and fellowship of love, harmony in the church
2. Spirit of joy - rejoice in the LORD
3. Accept less than you deserve - humility, contentment
4. Resting on a confident faith in the LORD

The way you handle problems is a reflection of your view of God. Proper understanding takes the anxiety away. The improper one makes you constantly insecure and in doubt.

God is sovereign, loving, in control of everything in your life for His Glory and your good. Nothing is beyond His control, He has orchestrated everything for eternal purpose. You understand this - and you remain stable in the most serious times.

Psa 31:1-5
(1) To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. In you, O LORD, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me!
(2) Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily! Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me!
(3) For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;
(4) you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge.
(5) Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God.


(noted while listening to John MacArthur)

No comments: