Monday, October 01, 2007

All Glory, Laud, and Honor

Author: St. 1: Theodulph of Orleans, 760-821
St. 2-4: Paul Gerhardt, 1607-1676
Musician: Melchior Teschner, 1584-1635, alt.


All glory, laud, and honor, To Thee, Redeemer, King,
To Whom the lips of children Made sweet hosannas ring:
Thou art the King of Israel, Thou David's royal Son,
Who in the Lord's name comest, The King and blessed One.

O Lord, how shall I meet Thee, How welcome Thee aright?
Thy people long to greet Thee, My Hope, my heart's Delight!
Oh, kindle, Lord, most holy, Thy lamp within my breast
To do in spirit lowly All that may please Thee best.

Thy Zion strews before Thee Green boughs and fairest palms,
And I, too, will adore Thee With joyous songs and psalms.
My thankful heart shall ev er Sing praise to Thee anew;
And from Thy name shall never Withhold the honor due.

What tho' the foes be raging, Heed not their craft and spite;
Your Lord, the battle waging, Will scatter all their might.
He comes, a King most glorious, And all His earthly foes
In vain His course victo rious Endeavor to oppose.

No comments: