Monday, November 06, 2006

Adversities Are My Strength

During my driving home I was thinking about all the strange and nasty things that have been happening to me lately. Small stuff, maybe not extremely important for my survival, but annoying and irritating nevertheless. Like my car - suddenly leaking water on to the floor, nobody knows why, or small things at home breaking down without an apparent reason, or tiny obstacles at work, testing my patience, never before present there.
And when I was getting sad about all this, a new thought came to my mind - that all this is the beginning of my own crucible of grace. How could I be so naive and full of pride to think that the trials should not pick me?
Everything was just fine up until June this year. God saved me by His Grace in June. And then all this started, bit by bit, week after week.
So my next thought was that of joy! Because if these things happen to me, and if the time stamp on them is what it seems to be - after my conversion - then this is one more proof of the correctness of my ways.
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
(Jam 1:2-4)
I have nothing to fear. Trusting God is the best way for a believer. And the trials, big and small, are to make me pure and faithful.
putting everything in subjection under his feet." Now in putting everything in subjection to him, he left nothing outside his control.
(Heb 2:8)

No comments: