Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Perseverance


I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

His dying crimson, like a robe,
Spreads o’er His body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.

This is the most beautiful hymn. I have tears in my eyes every time I listen to it, and believe me, Steve Camp CAN sing. The lyrics are slightly different in his song, but this is what I found as the core of the text.
Enjoy and God Bless

6 comments:

Jared said...

I too get misty-eyed every time I hear the old hymns--or read them for that matter. So much theology in so few lines. My grandfather was a music minister, and he recently had a stroke. He can no longer read or speak. I now have all of his old hymns and books on hymns. I sit and read and sing and weep from time to time.

I see from your profile that you are a teacher. I have a degree in English Education and am working toward my Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction. Always good to see fellow believers in the field.

ann said...

All this is new to me, that is why I get emotional. You can count yourself lucky with an ancestor like that.
Yes, I am a teacher, i teach English and Computer Science at a high school and at a university level. No Ph.D., though, just M.A. :)

Jared said...

I left you a response on my blog, but I wanted to be sure you got it. In order to put the writing underneath your title on the blog you must adjust your settings in blogger. Go to your blog, click settings, and then type in what you want to appear under the description section. This should apppear under the title when you republish.

Hope that helps!

ann said...

Thanks, Jared. I guess this is template-related, because my description ends up on my side bar.
I will have to leave it as it is, because the template looks nice...

Jared said...

By the way, Alistair Begg, pastor of Parkside Church, often says that a well-worn Bible is the sign of a Christian who is not. Your picture here reminds me of that saying.

ann said...

Jared, I just loved this picture when I saw it. It somehow makes you think of the people who were reading the Book, often, dilligently, and really using the Word.
My pastor says that when he first got saved, he started reading his Bible, was reading it for two years many times, and finally had to buy another one, because the first one was almost in pieces.