Monday, November 27, 2006

Proud and Humble

Can these two terms be reconciled?

The first one refers to how unsaved people see us, Christians, professing our faith, being unashamed of the gospel, being sure of our own salvation and of the certainty of God's Promises. In their eyes we should be insecure, shaky and not so certain whether there only IS one right way. In this world poisoned by various sects and cults anybody saying that he KNOWS is immediately labeled 'sect-member'. "Thank you", JWs :/

So we are proud. Not good. Moreover, proud of being saved already. Say it to a catholic, and you have bought yourself a fierce enemy. He has been struggling with his whole life to earn salvation =MAYBE=, and here you come and tell him that you ARE saved. He cannot stand it. You are a cheater, a liar, an idiot. You cannot possibly understand Scriptures on your own, since his priests and bishops must know better. Right? So do not come to him with your "by faith alone" phrase because you irritate him.
And it goes on...

We get labels. We are 'fundies', 'sectarians', 'heretics', 'lost brothers', 'simplicity seekers', 'ignorants' - oh my, especially if you dare to believe God in the Bible, that He did create everything in SIX days...
You know, I was one of those 'fighting feminists'. Everybody knew it. I really repented of that. They cannot recognize me and my views now. They think I lost my mind. I DO NOT CARE.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
(Rom 1:16)
If that is pride, let it be so.

But the real life of a believer is a life in humbleness. As hard as it is to imagine, God chose me, a sinful creature, and by His Grace saved me forever. Can I add anything to it? Can I by any means give myself some credit? No!
What else can I do than being humbled by God's Gift? I certainly did not deserve it... And the responsibility flowing out of it is overwhelming. I cannot fulfill the expectations on my own, I must put my trust in God. He and only He is able to sustain me and provide me with everything He wants me to do. It makes me very humble, grateful, prayerful.
Grace. What a wonderful word.
And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.
(Joh 1:16)

2 comments:

Even So... said...

Yes, we are most certainly to be boastful...we are to boast in the Cross of Christ (Galatians 6:14)...

Milhamah said...

Yes, Sis. We are proud of our humble state and humbled daily in our pride…
Glory to the Eternal Name of Jesus!

Boreal