Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Amazing Grace, How Sweet The Sound

I have always loved this hymn, without even thinking about its meaning... Now I know better, and love it even more. What a wonderful and edifying hymn...

John Newton

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost, but now am found.
Was blind but now I see.

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved.
How precious did the grace appear,
The hour I first believed.

Thru many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come.
This grace has brought me save thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures

Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail
And mortal life shall cease
I shall possess within the vale
A Life of joy and peace

The earth shall soon disolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, who called me here below
Will be forever mine

When we've been thru there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise,
Than when we'd first begun.

Amazing Grace:
The Story of John Newton
- further reading about both the author and the hymn...

"“Amazing grace, how sweet the sound...” So begins one of the most beloved hymns of all times, a staple in the hymnals of many denominations, New Britain or “45 on the top” in Sacred Harp. The author of the words was John Newton, the self-proclaimed wretch who once was lost but then was found, saved by amazing grace.

Newton was born in London July 24, 1725, the son of a commander of a merchant ship which sailed the Mediterranean. When John was eleven, he went to sea with his father and made six voyages with him before the elder Newton retired. In 1744 John was impressed into service on a man-of-war, the H. M. S. Harwich. Finding conditions on board intolerable, he deserted but was soon recaptured and publicly flogged and demoted from midshipman to common seaman. "

Read on...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I always found interesting is how this hymn is so popular-- almost a testimony against those that do not believe in God. I mean, everyone knows this hymn-- it's played at funerals, sung at memorial services. It's probably the most recognizable hymn.

Yet if you stop to read the words you see the truth that is contained in them and wonder how someone can sing it and miss the meaning.

ann said...

Believe me - it is possible. I haven't seen it for many years. Another reason for believing in the irresistible Grace, I guess, and in Total Depravity...
Eyes that do not see. Until they are made to.

Rand said...

A few years ago, my pastor and I were at a "gay pride" event with our Gospel signs. A homosexual, with far too little clothes on, stood in front of us and in an effort to shame us, started singing "Amazing Grace".

When he made an end of singing the first lines of the hymn, my pastor asked him:

"What has the Lord saved you from, my friend? What made you a wretch? What's changed?"

Of course, the sodomite didn't have an answer.

Rand

Samantha said...

Funny that you posted this. I've been reading about John Newton, John Bunyan, William Cowper & David Brainerd. All have amazing testimonies and lives.

I just posted another song by Newton. It's just as beautiful as amazing grace!!

http://carryyourcandle.blogspot.com/search/label/John%20Newton

Sorry, I don't know html!

God bless

ann said...

Samantha, I read your post, and then I came up with the idea of Amazing Grace, and THEN I found out that it is by the same author! And I do not believe in coincidences without reason :)

Anonymous said...

I too, love John Newton's story...have read it to my oldest, and also to the kids at my church's kid's club years ago. It's a story for all ages!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I just love these lyrics to such a powerful hymn.