Monday, February 05, 2007

Prophet - from Sunday's Sermon


Ron, our pastor, preached about this verse:
When the people saw the sign that he had done, they said, "This is indeed the Prophet who is to come into the world!"
(Joh 6:14)
In my Study Bible I found the following, very similar line of reasoning to what Ron presented:

The prophet that cometh (ho prophētēs ho erchomenos).
There was a popular expectation about the prophet of Deu_18:15 as being the Messiah (Joh_1:21; Joh_11:27). The phrase is peculiar to John, but the idea is in Acts (Act_3:22; Act_7:37). The people are on the tiptoe of expectation and believe that Jesus is the political Messiah of Pharisaic hope.
(Robertson's Word Pictures)

Here are the verses referenced by Robertson:
"The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your brothers--it is to him you shall listen--
(Deu 18:15)

And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the Prophet?" And he answered, "No."
(Joh 1:21)

She said to him, "Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world."
(Joh 11:27)

Moses said, 'The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you.
(
Act 3:22)

This is the Moses who said to the Israelites, 'God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers.'
(
Act 7:37)
I find it more and more captivating, how the Scriptures explain Scriptures...

No comments: