Thursday, February 08, 2007

Stories Of Great Hymns

While looking for hymns, I came across this podcast, Stories Of Great Hymns. I think it is worth while listening to it.
Discover how the great hymns came to be written; the trials and triumphs that led the great hymn writers to pen their immortal classics. Narrated by veteran radio actor Rex Brenner, music by Larry Shackley.




And, from Psalms and Hymns of Isaac Watts:

HYMN 65

The hope of heaven our support under trials on earth.
When I can read my title clear
To mansions in the skies,
I bid farewell to every fear,
And wipe my weeping eyes.
Should earth against my soul engage,
And hellish darts be hurled,
Then I can smile at Satan's rage,
And face a frowning world.
Let cares like a wild deluge come,
And storms of sorrow fall,
May I but safely reach my home,
My God, my heav'n, my all!
There shall I bathe my weary soul
In seas of heav'nly rest,
And not a wave of trouble roll
Across my peaceful breast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the SGH podcast. Those programs were originally presented on US radio in the early 1990s. Rex Brenner, who wrote and narrated the program, now is in retirement and has Parkinson's disease. He could use your prayers! Best wishes to you from a half-Swedish, half-English American! - Larry Shackley