Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Growing up


This is strange. Really strange.
Apart from the most significant change that EVER took place in my life (and I am a fish of many ponds and lakes) that is - apart from becoming Christian, I finally am a grown-up.
Now wait a minute: maybe it is not "apart from", maybe it is the direct consequence of the previously mentioned?
All my life I
was never completely grown up. Always aspiring, always looking for something, always looking up to somebody, trying to prove myself in the eyes of other people, insecure and easily hurt by criticism. Every achievement was paid by my submission to some circumstances, so that I could in some sense feel that it was not my decision entirely to choose this or that path in life.
What I understand now is that
it was Jesus drawing me all the time
He put an aching in my heart
and a hunger in my soul.

But this realization came first this past summer.
And now, close to Christmas, the consequence of it - I have grown up. I know, it sounds funny when said by a middle-aged mother of two, right? But this is how I see it and how my life is right now, firmly anchored on the Rock of my salvation, not depended on any human ideology, content in my faith.
Eph 4:11-16 (11) And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, (12) to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, (13) until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, (14) so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. (15) Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, (16) from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good way to put it, Ann. I never thought of it that way, but when we react as Christ would have us react, we definitely evidence a maturity that only comes from growing in Him.