Monday, March 26, 2007

Difference of opinion


What is wrong with expressing your opinion if you may and can support it biblically? What is inappropriate in letting others tell you what they think?
Where does your understanding of a particular doctrine become so concrete that it is impossible to change it EVEN IF deep inside of you, you know you are wrong?

I have watched this going on, in others as well as in me. A truly humble Christian will never shut his ears to a biblical argumentation. On the contrary - he will welcome a sound and kind debate in which both sides may present their arguments and where both sides are open to a dialogue. At the least - they will recognize their differences, but remain siblings in Christ.

I expressed here, on my blog, my critical approach towards the charismatic movement. I have studied the arguments against it before I made up my own mind. Some people felt so offended that they stopped talking to me - people who previously declared me a sister in Christ. Well, let it be so, then...

My dear Pentecostal Person: I have been living in this country for 14 years now. I have been living in your community all that time. I have been living in a family that is rooted in your church. Listen now: NOBODY EVER, NOBODY EVER approached me with the Gospel. Never. I have never heard one word from your church mates. What kind of missionary activity is that? They knew I was a nominal Roman Catholic, and probably felt that it was all right, because how otherwise can I explain their indifference? well, there is one more possibility, but I do not even want to go there...
This does not prove anything. But this shows me a lot... And this tells me which way NOT to take. I am sorry that you feel angry.

2 comments:

Sista Cala said...

If a church is not willing to reach out to their own backyard, it is doubtful they know anything of the true meaning of missions.
Many are content to send funds overseas, but balk at the idea of door to door witnessing. To assume that because of a person's chosen religion, they are untouchable shows a total lack of compassion. Particularly if that chosen religion is not based on the Truth of God's Word, the birth,death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and His future return for the saved. The Bible says, "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God." Salvation is by faith, so how can we expect to reach the unsaved w/out speaking to them?
Ooops, didn't mean to be so long winded.

ann said...

Thank you, Carla. Your input is most welcome, because sometimes I feel as if I am going in circles.
There is a lot of bitterness in me because of this, and I need God's grace to be rid of it, obviously.
Facts are facts, and they look the way they look.
I have been thinking - maybe it is my turn to go to them and talk Gospel to them?