Monday, March 12, 2007

There is this tree

There is this tree in the corner of our garden. A beautiful specimen, tall, healthy and proud. But, unfortunately, it is growing in a wrong place, and therefore must go.
You see these beautiful berries? I like to watch this tree bloom, big, white bunches that later on become these red berries. Do you know that one can eat them? They are rich in vitamin C, good for you, though slightly bitter. In Poland, when I was a child, one could buy candy made of those, small pearls of sweet something and the berries inside. My father liked them a lot...

This tree, however beautiful, was the reason of quite a damage to my car last autumn. Because the car was parked under it, the berries and leaves were falling onto and into the motor room of the vehicle, finally stopping the water flow under the battery, so when it rained, the water had nowhere to go, and the only way it found was into the inside of the car, thus flooding the floor on the passenger side. It was quite a job to localize the source of damage, and an even greater job to clean the berries and leaves away. My husband had to dismantle several parts to reach all that, and when he was there, he was faced with a terrible mess of molded matter, almost impossible to remove.

So the tree goes. Soon it will be chopped into pieces and made ready for our fireplace.

And I was thinking about that tree, and the external beauty of things and some people, and about how treacherous the appearances may be. It may look good, it may please you for a long time, it may even taste good and to some extent be good for you (remember the vitamin C?). But if you are not careful and vigilant, it may cause a lot of damage.

I have some specific examples in mind, but I believe it is not necessary to give them here. Rather, I would like to leave this text as an open possibility for interpretation, with a slight angle of the main theme of this place.

Mind you - I liked that tree...

Psa 121:1-8
(1) A Song of Ascents. I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?
(2) My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.
(3) He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.
(4) Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
(5) The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand.
(6) The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.
(7) The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.
(8) The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.

No comments: