Saturday, March 17, 2007

Secondary Essentials


The debate that is storming after The Shepherds' Conference initial sermon seems vivid at some places. I have just finished listening to The Narrow Mind Podcast from yesterday, where Gene Cook discusses this topic with Jason Robertson. I am too young a Christian to really have any opinion on the subject, but it does not hurt to listen and study.

And there is more than one level of knowledge to be studied here. On one level there is the Bible and how the different pastors, denominations and trends interpret it and the particulars in it. While most people agree on the Primary Essentials, they may, as it seems, profoundly surprise one another with those aspects which I call the Secondary Essentials. My reason for this name is that however secondarily those topics are presented initially in every such discussion, they really have the tendency to become Essentials in the end of an argumentation. This is logical, because even those secondary things determine the way we look at the primary ones. There is no way around it, and eventually people have to shake hands on agreeing to disagree, if they want to remain friendly.

The other level is more personal. As I hear the very strong voice pointing me towards the apologetics of Christian Faith, the Author of this voice is very often placing me in the battle field, so to speak. A young recruit placed in the middle of fight. My weapon? The Bible, which I still read, study and learn, and prayer, constant prayer for wisdom, discernment, patience, knowledge. And those prayers are answered, every time.
There has not been one single piece of information or study material that I wouldn't need at some point. The answers come often right after the question, and sometimes right before the question. It would probably feel scary if I did not trust God in this. And it hurts to hear brothers fighting over such secondary matters...

Still, I, too, need more patience and more gentleness, and more biblical knowledge. And some other minor things, like time...?
Thank You, Lord, for what You are doing for me.
for we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord's sight but also in the sight of man.
(2Co 8:21)

1 comment: