Saturday, March 03, 2007

Why is it so hard to live?

“But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside.” (Job 23:10-1)

So hard to live the normal life, this life of chores, mundaneness, obligations, this life of making money and making dinner, this life of dealing with bullies and ignorants...

Every day, every hour, barely making it to the next stop.

Look at this rose here. It took the sculptor days to make it look and feel the way it is. He (or she) must have been bruised many times, but look at the result! And, this rose will last for many years. It was made of stone, it was made out of love, it was made for a noble purpose of showing the beauty of creation.

Campi has recently written about being tired of this world. There is a lot of truth in it. The question is - are we allowed to let these feelings take over?
And then I read the Bible. And I always find the blessed tutorial advice:
Jam 4:6-10
(6) But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
(7) Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
(8) Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
(9) Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
(10) Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.
This is about Him. About admitting our insufficiency and His Greatness, our wretchedness and His Holiness. It is a sin to worry, it is a sin not to put my trust in the Lord. Whatever happens in my life, He is working it all for His glory. He assures me about it by the examples of His servants. I read about them and learn that the only value is in Him. However fiercely I might rebel against it with my sinful nature, this truth is always coming back and knocks me in the forehead.

I may despair over the condition of the world all day long, but the truth is - it is not up to me to change it. I do not have the means, I do not have the strength, I do not have the authority. Where I am coming from the world does not turn its eyes to.
1Co 1:25-31
(25) For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
(26) For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.
(27) But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;
(28) God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are,
(29) so that no human being might boast in the presence of God.
(30) He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption.
(31) Therefore, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."
So it is given - I cannot change the state of the affairs - politics, society, culture - they all go on as planned from before the beginning of the universe - towards their doom. And, it appears, those participating are quite proud of their achievements...
Can I change anything? Of course, within the given frames? I believe I can. I believe that what is important is not measured by any material value, or political value, or cultural value. There is another value a Christian must care about: the spiritual value. The treasure of caring for the lost, of pointing them to their only hope, the Cross of Jesus Christ. There is no other redeemer. There is no other way. There is no other HOPE.

So, really, life is not harder than our lack of trust makes it to be. The more trust we put in ourselves, the less trust is put in God, and the more frustrated we become. We mustn't go there, towards this temptation. Remember:
(2Ti 1:12) which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.
(Heb 2:18) For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
(Heb 7:25) Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

No comments: