Thursday, March 22, 2007

Teacher fired over Bible references


Tue Mar 20, 6:14 AM ET

SISTERS, Ore. - During his eight days as a part-time high school biology teacher, Kris Helphinstine included Biblical references in material he provided to students and gave a PowerPoint presentation that made links between evolution, Nazi Germany and Planned Parenthood.

That was enough for the Sisters School Board, which fired the teacher Monday night for deviating from the curriculum on the theory of evolution.

"I think his performance was not just a little bit over the line," board member Jeff Smith said. "It was a severe contradiction of what we trust teachers to do in our classrooms."

Helphinstine, 27, said in a phone interview with The Bulletin newspaper of Bend that he included the supplemental material to teach students about bias in sources, and his only agenda was to teach critical thinking.

Read on...

Now, this is of a special interest of mine. This past Monday I chaperoned :) a debate my students had (in their English class) on "Human nature - is it good or evil?"
We actually had a proper debate, with sides, arguments, rebuttals, cross examinations - everything. The conclusion was, that the human nature, although humans would like to have it all good, is mostly evil, and it is like that in order that a person may survive.
Imagine how difficult it was for me, the teacher, to keep my mouth shut and proclaim the Gospel... Why didn't I? Well, for quite the obvious reason, which is exemplified in the above article.
Am I still a slave of this world? Do I still fight with sin? Am I still afraid? I wish all of the three questions could be answered negatively, but the reality is not so glorious.
Is it then, perhaps, easier to quit my job and be a home mum? Maybe, yet I am not ready for this step, and I intend to fight this sin of fear in me.

Hopefully we are going to read more
about such brave teachers, and hopefully their fate will be a sort of an eye opener for the world.
God works all things for good.

3 comments:

Sista Cala said...

Yes, it is difficult to decide which way to go when you are on the clock. I work in a hospital, so I am faced w/the desire to speak comforting scriptures and pray w/patients on a regular basis.
There is no pat answer. I have to depend on the Holy Spirit to direct me. When I am certain of His leading, I disregard man made regulations and do what the Spirit says. He is faithful to care for me. 23 years and counting- on the clock.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great story, I hadn't heard that one and fully intend on reading the rest of the article! Thanks, Ann!

As for your dilemma, I'd be fighting my fears also. It's so frustrating that schools/teachers have the right to teach about planned parenthood (as a helpful viable option!!) and to allow things representing religions such as Islam and Hinduism...but are strictly dogmatic about allowing Christianity to even peek in the door.

I guess one way to look at it, is that it proves the potency of God. These other religions get in the door because they don't have the power to change lives, affect cultures...not eternally...at least not in a good way!

Btw, I wondered if you had gotten in on this blog's interviews with John Piper's wife? Here's the url: http://girltalk.blogs.com/girltalk/2007/03/girl_to_girl_ta.html

They've got several posts about her.

ann said...

Yes, Mary, I have seen those posts on Noël Piper :)

Thanks for commenting my post.