Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Right to the core

After years of
  • superficiality (form over substance),
  • art-centeredness (figures, paintings, sculptures, architecture of Roman Church),
  • respect for humanity in some specific persons (papal supremacy and cult of JPII),
  • awe for authority (laicy cannot possibly know how) and
  • fear of rejection because of different opinions (strong bonds of tradition),
the breath of fresh wind was given to me in this one, unique and blessed gift of Salvation by Faith and the assurance of it, by the Sovereignty of God.
The simplicity of it all was astonishing compared to things mentioned above. It was so simple, that I could not fathom it at once. Instead of some ceremonial feast of watching others drink, I was given a cup and told to - just drink it. Instead of wondering how much and how long is necessary to obtain the price, it was given to me just like that.

Real Christianity is contra intuitive. It takes time to even accept this notion. Everything in it is upside down, rebellious, provocative, undermining all we had known before.

  • God becoming man?
  • God born poor?
  • A virgin birth?
  • This God-Man loving sinners?
  • The most despicable death of its time, on the Cross?
  • Bodily resurrection?
  • Church that is not of this world?
  • Salvation by faith?
  • You must die to live?

And the longer I studied, the more I understood that a man prior to salvation has nothing, is nothing and can nothing. How, when and if the change comes to be is decided by God. It was a difficult time, because I started to realize the direction my convictions are pointing to. The only things I knew were not very favorable (in my memory of past understanding) for that direction (the one called Calvinism). I had my doubts, I even asked some well-meaning people for advice, but I got none. God has His hand in everything. The well-meaning people are of the conviction in-between the two camps, and it was not my position at all.

Today I read a testimony of a young mother, who, disillusioned by Rome, turned to the Protestant mainstream Lutheran Church. And she is still uneasy, looking for answers, searching. In a way, I can sympathize with her, but my advice for her would be to really dig in into the Bible before making any decision as to church hunting. But this is me, and I know God has His unique plan for everybody, and if He started moving her heart, He will never leave her. She might not realize it yet, but she will. So let us pray for her, instead for coming to her with well-meant advice. :)

Gospel is revolutionary, right to the core of human sinful nature, and if it is according to God's purpose, penetrating it and killing this old nature. Thus the impossible becomes possible, and the contra intuitive the only way.
Rev 21:4-7
(4) He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning nor crying nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."
(5) And he who was seated on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." Also he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."
(6) And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.
(7) The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.
What do you think?

2 comments:

Even So... said...

I agree...posted an article a while back called "the Inverse Universe" whuch echoes these thoughts...right on...

Anonymous said...

this was a beautifully written piece...and what a picture...

wow