Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Gentleness in Orthodoxy


This is the topic I have been meditating on lately, and it is not simple and easy at all. The way people take the Gospel when talked to determines their acceptance of it; well, not really, because this is not dependent on their will, but still, on the other hand, to approach somebody and slam him with the Bible is not good...
Why I think that? Because every time I talk to somebody about God and His drawing people to Him, they somehow translate it into me boasting and being proud and making them worse. I really never say that, I try to present the dead state of everybody in sin, mine included, but they somehow close their ears and go into a loop of denial.
So I am going to be more careful now in what I say, though this is not so obvious, because then the new problem arises - that of becoming a contextualizer and adjustor, of bending the Truth for the sake of "peace".
Frank Turk has written a very interesting post within the subject, and it started me thinking...
I would really appreciate some comments here.


(now about that CD - they are going to send me another one, so let us hope this one arrives in one piece)

5 comments:

Kim said...

I think the gospel is going to offend people, no matter how we tell it. We're not supposed to offend, but the gospel will. How can it not, when we live in a world that doesn't believe in truth, yet we proclaim that we have found it?

ann said...

So, as it is written, eventually, we are to be persecuted for the sake of His Name.
And I know it, and I accept it.I guess I seek for some confirmation that it is not my fault. The world can make you feel very guilty.

Anonymous said...

"If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you.

"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I CHOSE you OUT of the world, )because of this the world hates you.

"Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master ' If they persecuted Me, they WILL also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.

"But all these things they will do to you for My name's sake, because they do not know the One who sent Me."

John 15:18-21

Rand said...

If the preaching of the Gospel doesn't offend carnal men and women...

IT ISN'T THE GOSPEL.

Later,

Rand

Anonymous said...

AMEN
Mrs. Meg Logan