Saturday, January 27, 2007

Too Busy NOT to Pray

Luk 5:15-16
(15) But now even more the report about him went abroad, and great crowds gathered to hear him and to be healed of their infirmities.
(16) But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.

Have you ever forgone your daily prayer time because you felt too busy? When we surrender quiet time for something else, we’re making a statement about our priorities. It is a not-so-subtle way of saying, “Jesus, my calendar is more important to me than You are today. I’ll catch up with You later.”

We all do this from time to time. It’s so easy to be pulled out of the prayer closet. We think we can “make up” the time later because God will always be there. We seem to have taken God’s eternal, indwelling presence for granted.

We fail to realize that our quiet moments with the Lord empower us to face the challenges of each day. Therefore, the busier our day, the more time we should spend in prayer preparing for it! The Bible clearly shows that Jesus Himself protected His private time with the Father. No one had more on his mind, had more things to do, or was in greater demand than Jesus. And yet, His busiest days are the times we see Him pulling away from the crowds in order to pray.

Is prayer the first thing you remove from your daily agenda when the schedule fills up? Protect that time every day at all cost. Remember that Jesus is God. If He considered prayer necessary to prepare for His busiest days, then it is absolutely essential for the rest of us!

From
In Touch Daily Devotional
by Dr. Charles Stanley


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this reminder for me? The sad thing about writing and blogging for me, is that when I fall asleep at night I think about what my current writing project is...I used to pray the minute my head hit the pillow.

Thanks, Ann.

ann said...

It is a reminder to me, too. I often fall asleep in the middle of a prayer...