Saturday, January 20, 2007

So I got me an iPod


And found out that I am technically illiterate. After 10 years of working with computers, after studies in Computational Linguistics, I know nothing. This thing made me cry. I spent the entire evening yesterday on making it be seen by my computer and on making it recognize the external disk with music on it. To no avail. Well, the computer recognizes the thing, and it recognizes the external disk, too, but the thing and the disk do not see each other. I had to copy the entire music/podcast folder onto the C, and then the miraculous healing of iPod's vision occurred :)
The state of things for now: my computer does not charge the iPod, so I am charging it on another one. But, at least, it is working there. Now this picture here is the exact idea about iPod I have right now - do not touch it, do not buy it, do not have high hopes about it.
It will take me months to tame this little piece of technology, unless somebody helps me...

8 comments:

Rand said...

Well... I would sure take an iPod.

I'm a techno-geek... the more gadgets, the better!

Later,

Rand

pregador27 said...

Rand, maybe she can send it to you. I am an iPod junkie. I have a nano and 3 shuffles. I use an adapter to use it in my truck. Over a day of sermons and music vs. maybe an hour or so from a CD. Great stuff! Sorry you're having problems Ann, I don't know why. I never had a problem with any of mine.

ann said...

Well - it is working now, what a relief :)
Although I need to buy a USB Power Adapter, which is better than turning the hubby's computer on just to charge the thing. There is something about the USB ports and the level of electricity in them. Anyway...
Thanks, guys, for the warm thoughts :)
No, Rand, You are NOT getting this one ;)

Brian said...

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy! If you need/want tech tips just let me know. I'm saving up for my replacement.

Kim said...

How is it working today?

I hope you get things working. My son had trouble with his. There is a good help page for iPods. It helped my son with his.

ann said...

Brian, thank you for Your willingness to help. I might take you up on it :)

Kim, it is smooth now. I understood that my computer will not charge the battery, but it will cooperate with iPod otherwise, which is most important. So my husband bought me a charger, the one You put into a socket, and I think it is for the best.
Strange, though, that such an expensive gadget comes WITHOUT a charger...
The internet page on apple.com was very useful, I applied some of their suggestions.
The instruction that came with the gadget was in Finnish and Norwegian. Sigh...
I know some languages, but there is a limit :)

On the off-topic side: WE HAVE GOT LOTS OF SNOW AS OF TODAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I went the generic brand and went with a Rio Cali when I got my first MP3. Too much hype around iPod and I'm more of a Windows guy anyway.

Glad to hear that you got it working. Unpowered USB ports can be a nightmare.

The Cooking Photographer said...

That's called Macontish technology my dear!!! Macintosh!! The seperior to PC!!! LOL