Saturday, September 23, 2006

Music


I have been raised with love for music, for classical music mostly. Visits to opera were my weekly experiences from the day I could read (and it was early, believe me).
The city I come from is famous for its excellent philharmonic hall, opera house and several theaters. I miss it here where I live now, in a small place in Sweden. A little bit later in my life I developed a taste for the somewhat more popular music, and today I like most of the genres (with some definite exceptions, nevertheless).
The music listed in my profile does not really say much of these tastes, because I would have to make this list veeery long. Rather - it is my present state of preferences. Some films on my favorite list are there also because of the music in them. The wonderful tones of LOTR, composed by Howard Shore, are not easily matched by anything else. Music in Blues Brothers - well, it is THE BLUES, period.
Both I and my husband have gathered an impressive collection of CD's and LP's, as well as DVD's, those latter ones both with movies and music.

What is good music, then? A complicated question, because the answer depends on taste, mood, preferences, education, culture, language, philosophy, religion... And all these are individual and impossible to value right or wrong. For me good music must be both pleasing to the ear and provocative at the same time. Every generation has its own music, and I discovered with terror that I am not different at all. "My" music (popular) fits best in the 80's, the days when I myself was young and open for new impressions.
Now all this was all right, but these days there is one most important factor to consider in my life, and it concerns every aspect of it, music included. I truly seek music to be of God nowadays.
As it is written:
Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him, talk ye of all his wondrous works.
(1Ch 16:9)

Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
(Psa 33:3)

I do not believe that there is a particular style in music that is more pleasing to God than other styles. I am convinced that sincerity and beauty, as well as the message, are what counts. God does not change, but generations do. We no longer listen to music played in the times of the Temple of Salomon, we create new music all the time, music that uses our talents - those of the composers and those of the listeners alike.

The 107 Theses is a biblical presentation of what a good Godly Christian contemporary music should be like. I was very impressed when I read it first time. It is a sound and firm answer to all
those who put all CCM into one sack. There are people who take God seriously, and still manage to keep their music powerful, attractive and interesting. This is by no means winning souls for every price. This is not cheap evangelism, either - as some conservatives could argue.
Having said that - it is a pity that so few singers and composers scrutinize their work biblically.
I cannot live without music. I wonder - what is the heavenly music going to be like? :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anna, thanks SO much for sharing your comments on music at my blog! I immediately came over here to read your music post and also the 107 Theses. I'm getting ready to post a little bit from that site as my next blogpost!