Saturday, September 16, 2006

Piece of cake

You may say many things about me, but not that I am a good housewife. Never been, never shall be. It is not my cup of tea. I am trying, though, stumbling, seldom succeeding...
Cooking meals is all right. Nothing fancy, but sufficient for our needs, and my husband graciously takes over when needed. But this all area of cookies, cakes, pastries - oh no, it is a mess. My talents end with those ready-made packages where you only have to add some fat and water, mix properly and put into oven.

Today I was challenged by my oldest son into making a "real" cake. Poor darling
got head over heels while eating some delicious cakes at our women Bible study yesterday, and demanded a similar treat at home. Well, what you see here is the result, I must proudly say, much appreciated by my sons, as there is only one third of it left for tomorrow.

And this event makes me think about Jesus (as almost all events these days) and what He wants us to do and to be. We all received some special gifts of the Spirit, and should use them to get closer to the Lord, should be using them constantly, improving ourselves. It is not our worry to be afraid of the result - because if we believe, it shall be given upon us with abundance, right? However insignificant your input seems to you, put your trust in Jesus. He will take your labor because it was done for His glory.
My son somehow helped me to understand that I can make a cake and that he likes it.
God wants us to realize that we, in our wretchedness, yet born in Spirit, can do things we had no idea we could. And that our new life in God shall be accepted and preserved, forever and ever.
The very realization of this wonderful promise is making me very humble and full of gratitude.

His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(2Pe 1:3-8)

No comments: