Thursday, September 07, 2006

Religious Spam

People want to share. When they believe, they want to share beliefs. When they find out that somebody new has just become a believer, they are extatic about it. I really appreciate all concern, but sometimes it is just too much of the 'good' stuff.

Somebody who genuinely cares, a person belonging to a Pentecostal Church, gave me a book - a gift for my new way of life. Beautifully wrapped parcel, I was hoping for some kind of Bible edition. Guess what I got? "Purpose Driven Life". Yes, the very same, but in Swedish. At that moment I had no idea what the book was, not more that it was 'religious'. But I had enough biblical training and enough sound reference around me to check it first with Bible believers. By the way- I have no clue where the poor thing is now, it has disappeared, but I am not crying over it at all.
My deepest gratitude to Richard Bennett for his thorough criticism of this book. If one day I do read it, it will be only to see how big mistakes can be made by even the best of us. It is an important warning. Deception is everywhere.
You may find Richard's article on the subject here: part1, part2.
But this is a book recommended by charismatics, it obviously had been suggested to this person in church on a Sunday, as something very good. How shall I explain it to this person, that I have not yet read it? :) I really do not want to hurt anybody's feelings, and, on the other hand... Well, life is not always very easy to live. I need to pray for some advice.

The charismatics have no objection to Alpha course, neither. In fact, I heard some outcries of astonishment, when I expressed my strong unwillingness to enroll.
Thanks to sermonaudio.com I could defend my stand easily.

This kind of materials, books, suggestions is what I call 'religious spam'. But this is worse than spam. You cannot just ignore and delete it. You have to take a stand, for or against it, and it takes up your time and energy that you could have spent on His Word instead.

My verses for this evening:

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. The LORD is their strength, and he is the saving strength of his anointed. Save thy people, and bless thine inheritance: feed them also, and lift them up forever.
(Psa 28:7-9)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Bennet's post. I'm really curious about the Purpose Driven Life. We were given a copy by someone we used to highly respect. This whole emergent church thing bears some examination. I appreciate this post, and like your title...religious spam!