Monday, September 18, 2006

'T' or 'L'?

There is something sinister about this word. Or maybe not in the word, but in the way people have been using it.
Once upon a time I thought nothing of it, it was politically correct and trendy to be tolerant. If you are not tolerant, you are labeled old-fashioned conservative stupid fundy. So I was tolerant. Very tolerant. Always listening to others, nodding while being presented with their views, trying to smile politely, sometimes even believing I was tolerant. I was so tolerant that I couldn't believe myself :).

And then somebody showed me another word and its meaning. The 'L'-word. You know, LOVE. And I got the opportunity to contrast it to the 'T'-word. What a difference! Of course, the 'L'-word comes with negation of 'T'-word. It is hard to let go. Really hard. But once I did, I felt really free and filled with joy.
You see, humanism tries to convince us that everything is good. That is - except Jesus, the real One, the One from the Bible. Because all the other Jesus figures are quite all right, they do not try to bother people too much, they are very nice and kind, and they show up when needed, like for Christmas (then they are babies, no harm expected), or in the company of painted eggs.

Astrology is good, veeeery interesting, exciting; yoga is good - one gets healthy and fit; violence is good - what can a movie do to harm you, it is just a made up story, c'm on... Motivational Training is good, very good, you have to participate unless you do not want to lose your job (where is tolerance here, I wonder?).
Tolerate everything, be happy when the official political parties propose the laws equaling marital laws of homosexuals with those of heterosexuals, tolerate when they say that those churches which should refuse homosexuals to get married are going to lose their right to perform marriage ceremonies...
But when it comes to Christians - then it is free and good to ridicule, to lie, to spit, to say nasty things, to call us names. Then there is no tolerance.
Love - to love means to care, to protect, to give guidance, to prevent evil happening to somebody. Then it means to be telling NOT TO DO, instead of DO AS YOU PLEASE.
I prefer the 'L'-word. Very much so.
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? As it is written, "For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered." No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(Rom 8:35-39)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great way to look at it. I know I sometimes come across as intolerent about certain things, for instance abortion. It's wrong, something I have a definite belief about. However, I don't automatically condemn every woman whose ever had an abortion based on this truth. Love covers a multitude of sins. Summed up, love the sinner, hate the sin.