Sunday, October 01, 2006

History Themes: Everything Gabaldon, But

It is very seldom I find a writer whose books make me completely nourished. While I was swallowing novels when I was young, I changed my interests towards documentaries and biographies lately.

So it was a big surprise to me to find Outlander Series captivating, exciting, accurate historically, passionate, living, written in such a way that it was impossible to put the books away. The part I read first was a book bought by a complete accident, on a book sale, and it was "Fiery Cross". I remember reading it and wondering, what it was about really, on page 90 I still was lost and had no idea who these people were. Odd to say the least :). I then did a simple research and found out that this was part 5 of the series. Well, no wonder I did not understand! But I got through the book, though, and found it appealing to such extent that soon I owned all the other four parts, to read them in a proper order.
The one in the picture is part six, the latest one, the best so far.

18th century Scotland and America are so alive in those books, that one almost smells the smells, sees the sights, hears the voices, and lives the lives of the characters. It is hard to believe that this is fiction. But if you want to get to know the history of the period, as presented against the everyday life and custom - seek no further. Gabaldon does it masterly, sparing no detail, making her reader participate in the story, giving you goose bumps as you read along.
My fascination with history got lots of inspiration through the series. Scotland of the period is extremely tempting to explore in the near future, specifically Highlands. I shall see if a North Carolina trip is in there for me.

But...

And here it comes, there seems always to be a big BUT for a Christian. I would not recommend those books. Why? Because there is Celtic pagan occult, there are witches, there is traveling in time, mixed with Bible, and some superficial treatment of faith when describing Presbyterians and Catholics. It is faithful to historical facts, of course, but the occult side of it scares me a bit.
Therefore hearken not ye to your prophets, nor to your diviners, nor to your dreamers, nor to your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, which speak unto you, saying, Ye shall not serve the king of Babylon: For they prophesy a lie unto you, to remove you far from your land; and that I should drive you out, and ye should perish. (Jer 27:9-10)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brave woman! You mentioned the occult, but what about the homosexuality...that's what really made me realize that I couldn't read her books anymore. Hard decision, she is such an amazing story-spinner. And I'm a sucker for anything Scottish! Not to mention time-travel always appeals...
Wish some of these gifted authors would start working for God!

ann said...

As a matter of fact - I forgot to mention it, because I forgot :)
I returned to the series two weeks ago, and it was a year ago I read the previous part. Or, was I in denial? Well, you are right.
But, I still would not dismiss the books completely - they are too good literature for that.
I read that one can now listen to Gabaldon's podcasts and enjoy her stories of experiences with ghosts!
It seems that a journey that started as a simple training in art of writing became an unwelcome (or welcome) reality. Makes one frightened.

Amy said...

I've got this series of books too and while I enjoyed them immensely I too was a bit worried about the paganism of them...