Monday, October 30, 2006

Time and clocks

You have them everywhere. They are with you all the ... time ... . In every room, on every street corner, on your wrist, in your phone, on the computer screen.

Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack Tick tack

Can you live without them? Would you even consider such a thing? I doubt that. I wouldn't. Sometimes I feel enslaved by time convenances, by our own way of putting humanity into snares of minutes and hours. Do not misunderstand me - I hate it when people come late. But at the same time I hate the chains.

Yesterday we had one more hour to dispose of, so to speak. The winter time is on, the summer time is off. Somebody decided that for the sake of profit and environment this would be a good solution, and we bought it. The obvious consequence is for me to run around the house and adjusting my various clocks forwards or backwards, every six months. I do not like it. The same applies to my car, to my VCR, to my mobile phone. My computer serves itself, luckily for me.

My point is - modern man has used technology to improve his life, but sold his freedom in the process. Everything has got a price, and your time does not belong to you, that is why it is measured, regulated, chunked, portioned, checked, sanctioned, divided. That is why you have to observe its flow everywhere you look. This is slavery, a subtle kind, but still ... A convenient one, no doubt, but still ...

It is a virtue to respect others by keeping your appointments. We have this kind of society, and this kind of arrangement. As long as we remember the higher plan of things, that is. We live here and now, so we must adapt to the conditions and find the meaning of them, not forgetting the Creator of Time, Space and Matter.
I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different from a slave, though he is the owner of everything, but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God. Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. (Gal 4:1-8)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that we have chosen a most unforgiving master in the clock-- and yet it is also a steadying thing in our lives. We humans are all about change, and time and God are unchanging.

I find it fascinating that we have so much trouble dealing with change and yet we also have complain that it doesn't change. What a funny people we are sometimes.