Thursday, October 12, 2006

What is your worth?

Not that I suddenly started to evaluate my assets. Everyone believes that he or she is worth a lot, right? We often say to ourselves that there is no one better or wiser or nicer or more beautiful or... Well, you know the drift, and have been there many times, haven't you?
Now there always are people who evaluate you in various ways, positively an negatively. You do that, too, judging others according to your views and beliefs.
What I have in mind are my direct impressions after some hours spent on being educated about salaries this morning.
Question: Are you satisfied with your salary?
Answer: Of course not!

(There was not one person in the audience who said they were...)
We always want more, even if we have enough. Human nature, carnal heart, egoism, self-gratification, envy... The endless collection of reasons for wanting more and desiring more.
Why? Love of self, a human in the center of things, survival of the fittest?
Now please do not misunderstand me. I have lived through many years of so called communism, a system where everyone was supposed to be equal. A terrible system, unfair, bloody and crippling abilities and motivation. Nobody was happy - except the guys on the top. But I wonder -
were they happy? Or maybe terribly miserable, really? Can a happy person do terrible things to others? Doubtful, isn't it?

Is it possible to evaluate a person with money value? How much do you cost? I feel almost violated in my principles. I have no price, though my boss is presumably forced to see me this way once a year. I am not envious of her job in this respect. It must be extremely stressful to rank people who work with you and to put a price tag on each and every one of them. To be just and fair in the process as well, to get to know everybody's strengths and weaknesses, to treat them with due respect...

What does the Bible say?
1Ti 5:18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer [is] worthy of his reward.

It is a given that we must eat to survive, and that the food we eat costs money, and that the money must be earned earnestly. We are also obliged to provide for those who depend on us, our children and our family members. So it is fair to demand a decent salary.

But is it your value?

Certainly not. Being a Christian, your value lies not in gold and silver, but in your truthfulness to the Lord and to His Word. He valued you high, saved you by His Grace, provided for your faith in Him, and promised never to leave you.
You are worth everything to Him, for He
Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This is my on-going comfort, that even though a man puts a low value tag on me, my God values me as high as Himself.
What a wonderful God we have!

No comments: