Monday, October 09, 2006

Too much of the good stuff

That is what happens when you do not stop in time - you hurt yourself. Too much sweetness - and next thing you know is a rushed visit to the dentist's, because something happened to your tooth. This can be repaired, though, and maybe you go on eating candy soon, not thinking about the danger for some time.

(Well, the reason I am writing this is my broken tooth and a necessity of visiting my dentist a.s.a.p.)

But there is a deeper meaning to it, as always. Life and the pleasures it offers to us. We take every opportunity of indulging ourselves as far and as deep as it is tasty and nice, not thinking about the dangers hiding behind the corner.

No, wait - not "we". People. It is more politically correct to make it impersonal, right? People love life and wordly pleasures. People are so easily influenced by the temptations presented to them every day, everywhere, they are buying into the world's philosophy of post-modernism and relativism, letting themselves go with the flow of "everything is optional, there is no absolute truth, all can be questioned and twisted around". Such thinking is sweet to the ear, the bitterness of it comes much later, in fact - when it is too late.

What is a broken tooth compared to a broken life, a broken home, a spiritual death? I cannot cease hearing these words:
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
(Rom 12:2)

And there will be no more sweets for me for some time now :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I didn't love sugar so much. One of my posts tomorrow mentions how avoiding sugar this time of year is as good an antidote to the flu season as the flu vaccine...and better for your health overall.
But it's so hard to stick to that! If I didn't love to bake so much!

Hope you get into that dentist soon!

ann said...

Thank You, Mary. My tooth is all right now, though my gum is sore after what my dentist did to it :)
Sugar addiction - a huge topic, since sugar is added to almost everything, openly and not - to make us crave after it all the time.
And obesity...